Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 5, 2013

T-53: Test...Run?



Simple and fast pack with the BOB
Last Saturday was the first truly beautiful spring day of the year.  We decided to use the opportunity to load the bikes with the full kit…and the new B.O.B. trailer and go for a longish ride.  The Bob necessitated a different pack than the panniers. So I went throughout the house, snatching laundry bags of b sizes.  I create bags for personal items, dubbed bathroom bags, then underwear bags, then clothing bags.  The idea here is that we will need to dig through the yellow hole of the Bob to find specific items.


Now, I have generated an elaborate system of bags, and often bags within bags, that serve various purposes and needs.  There is, of course,

1.       The bag with the tent, ground cloth, and rain fly. 


Bag after bag
2.       The bag with comforter, ground sheet and my pillow

3.       The bag with kitchen supplies

4.       The bag with emergency and first aid supplies

5.       Two bags of personal items

6.       Two bags of underwear

7.       Two bags of clothing

8.       Two rolls of sleeping pads

9.       Small bag of tools and flat repair kit

10.   A small bag of Adventure Cycling maps

11.   And more…I think I have counted 21 bags altogether!

We loaded the bikes, bags, BOB, panniers, and ourselves into the car and went to Willow Metro Park.  After a quick and easy pack, we head off for the Trial Run.  Wes was on his good ol’ Schwinn LeTour, carrying his gear in panniers.  I attached the BOB to my pretty good ol’ Trek 7600.    It is a breeze to pull or carry this load.  We are very happy.

It was an absolutely beautiful day, such a relief after the long cold and wet spring we have been experiencing.  We remarked at the very high Huron River, well over its banks in many places.   We zoomed off…more accurately, I zoomed off.   Not only have my months with a trainer improved my fitness and stamina, the BOB really lightens the load.  I felt almost no drag and had little to no trouble adjusting to the changes in turning radius.  I did have trouble parking and have the feeling this will be an on-going challenge.

Wes was much slower.  His transition to the trip is going to be much more difficult.  He just has not had the capacity to do much training at this point.  He likes to blame the difference in our fitness level on the slight difference in our age…he is, after all, 3 years older than me.  When Wes tells me this, I practice what he calls the “the bobble head” which is a vaguely affirmative head nod.  Graciously I don’t point out that my brother Scott and his wife Deb, who are exactly our ages, could outhike, outwalk and generally outperform us in every way…that perhaps it’s not really an issue of age[SN1] , but of fitness habits.  But I’m too kind for that

We had a great ride, enjoyed a nice visit to the Huron Metropark Nature center (love the box turtles and friendly head-circling snakes), then decided to a full camp test at a picnic ground.  At Acorn Knoll, past the sloughs of standing water, we set up the tent.  It was easy and great.  We are very impressed with REI tent, but note that we need at least four tent stakes to withstand a big awful rainstorm, which we will surely encounter on our ride.
I lay out the sleeping gear.  It is easy and comfy.  Wes crawls in, stretches out, and almost immediately falls asleep.  Within minutes, he is snoring and drooling.  This looks like success to me.

The next test is the all-important coffee making test.  In years past, we have actually carried a coffee pot.   I want to try a silicon pour spout attached to our cook-kit.  With our dandy little Brunton cooker, pot, pour spout and Melitta strainer, we may a damn good cup of coffee.  Another success…and a critical one for my coffee addict husband.
So I am thrilled with the BOB.  I am happy with the pack.  I am really happy with the new seat, which will end the excruciating abrasion in my “lady-parts”.   The choices we are making are working and we are getting more and more excited.  Just a few more days now….oh boy!




No comments:

Post a Comment